My hair is:
Thick, fairly coarse, naturally straight-ish, and typically doesn't hold a curl for very long.
This is my first time trying a clipless curling iron, and I'm very impressed! I used the 19mm (3/4") barrel, and was worried it would result in curls that are too tight. But with this tool, it is easy to create many different styles by the technique you use and the amount of time you leave the tool in your hair. My curls usually tend to come undone and lost "oomph" as time goes by, but this tool has helped me create lasting curls that definitely surprised me!
How I used the tool in the photo:
1. Apply heat protectant
2. Section hair
3. Curl hair according to instruction pamphlet (I curled all my hair away from my face, but you can alternate directions for a different look!)
4. Light hairspray to lock in curls
5. Run a small amount of wax product through the curls with your fingers to loosen and separate the curls
- Fairly easy to use
- Very quick to heat up
- Low, Medium, and High settings with coloured (I'm from Canada!) indicator lights
- Long 9 foot cord
- Flip-out stand for putting on your counter between sections, but will also stand without flipping out the extra leg
- Lack of spring-clip makes it more travel-friendly / space-efficient
- Results in lasting curls with minimal frizz
- Versatile; can create tight curls or loose waves
- Sturdy and resilient -- I accidentally dropped the iron while hot about 3 ft onto tile floor. Still worked fine :)
- 2 year warranty
- Takes some practice to learn how to use the tool, but it's pretty easy! This photo is only my first time with a clipless iron!
- More risk of skin burns from the nature of how the tool is used (compared to spring clip curling irons). The heat protectant glove is not invincible -- you will still feel the heat! Be sure to use the glove and curl carefully!
- Pricey, but consider it an investment if you're having a hard time finding a tool that creates lasting tools
- I don't really consider the heat protectant glove a "bonus", since I can't imagine being able to use this tool without one. When making your purchase decision, I would suggest you consider the glove as a standard accessory with the kit, as opposed to an extra "bonus" feature.
My results were:
Long-lasting curls without much frizz!
I would recommend for...
This iron is definitely an investment, so I would only recommend buying this tool if:
- Other curling irons aren't very effective for you / don't create curls that last long enough with your hair type
- Other curling irons don't get the job done fast enough for your liking
- You're unhappy with the results of other curling irons you've tried
- You want a curling tool that doesn't take up as much space in your travel bag
I would recommend this tool for people who have hard-to-curl hair, or hair that doesn't hold a curl for long. I was surprised at how well this tool worked for me!